Best programming laptop 2018: Cheap laptop for running Visual Studio 2017 – Coding laptops reviews
We will help you find best laptop for programming and coding for running apps like Visual Studio 2017. Programming laptops are different from your normal mainstream laptop. Visual Studio is a fairly demanding application and requires a laptop with particular set of components that help you code better and compile faster. While even an atom powered Windows 2 in 1 laptop tablet can run it perfectly, it will have several hiccups when you will start compiling on it and running emulators. So it is advisable to get one with powerful enough specs that it does not slows down. Our laptops experts sat down with VS programmers to find out the best laptop for visual studio 2018. Here are few things you should know before shelling out that hard earned money.
Best Laptops for Visual Studio 2017: What to look out for while choosing one
1. Powerful: Performance is very important here as you will not want a laptop that slows down your thoughts while you code. So consider getting one with Core i5 or i7 processor. Stay away from i3, Celeron and Pentium processors. Graphic card is not important as all compilation and coding load is handled by processors. That being said, some of the cheap gaming laptops are good candidates for programming laptops as they pack quite powerful processors in addition to a powerful and discrete graphics card. But as said earlier, processing power is more important here than having a laptop with powerful graphics card.
2. Screen resolution: Resolution plays a very important role too. There are several windows inside the IDE of visual studio 2017. So having extra pixels will allow you to code more comfortably. Consider getting a laptop with 1600 x 900 pixels or full HD 1920 x 1080 for maximum coding comfort. 4k quad HD resolution will be a bit overkill but if you laptop with 4k resolution has decent processing power and 15-inch screen size, go for it as you will be able to take advantage of those extra pixels.
3. Screen size: Have a laptop with good real estate. A laptop/ultrabook with 13 inch display is a good start but we would prefer 15 inch and 17 inch laptops to avoid eye strain. Since we are going to spend countless hours coding in front of the display, it better be comfortable to the eyes. So no 11 inch laptops and netbooks, okay? This also ensures you have full size keyboard with number pad as there is decent space in a 15″ laptop.
Best laptops for programming and Visual Studio 2018 are given below.
Dell Inspiron 15 [asa]B077YRGB5Y[/asa]
Dell Inspiron 15 is latest quad core i5 processor that makes use of kaby lake technology that makes use of more power efficient techniques to increase battery life. Dell claims 8-12 hours of runtime on single charge. The backlit keyboard is full size and features a very precision touchpad that makes controlling cursor super accurate. If you are out for a budget laptop for programming that also has the latest specifications, this Dell fits the bill perfectly.
* Full HD IPS 15.6-inch touchscreen with 16:9 screen ratio
* Intel Core i5-8250U Processor @3.4GHz clock speed
* 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1000GB HDD, DVD drive, Multi-format digital media card reader
Dell Inspiron i5577 [asa]B06XFGF7SN[/asa]
Dell Inspiron i5577 is a quad core laptop packing incredibly powerful specifications at reasonable price tag. It is built like a tank and features every single feature ever released for the computing world. It has latest i7 full-voltage processor for strong raw performance and dedicated Nvidia GPU card for extremely powerful graphics, gaming and entertainment. The keyboard is full size and even packs a backlit laptop keys for easy typing experience. There is lot storage onboard with its 1000GB hard disk and 128GB SSD for faster application launches and faster boot times. The screen is amazing to look and work with thanks to full HD resolution, IPS and anti-glare coating. To keep it running cool at all times, Dell has equipped it with two cooling fans that have 240-thermal fins that work in harmony to give you unparalleled performance and uninterrupted gaming.
* 15.6 inch FHD 1080p anti-glare IPS wide angle display
* 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-7700HQ full voltage processor
* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 performance-class graphics card with 4GB GDDR5 discrete memory
* 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD, Waves MaxxAudio Pro audio system, subwoofer, 4-5 hour battery life
Lenovo Legion Y520 [asa]B06WVMJ713[/asa]
Lenovo Legion Y520 is the best laptop for programming. While it was made for gaming, it features quad core 7th generation i5 processor that has 4 threads and runs at 2.5GHz clock speed with capacity to overclock itself if the load is too high. This makes it ideal for running VM and emulators. It is like as if this laptop was made especially for programming applications like Visual Studio that have lot of toolbars and require high resolution screens for best coding experience. This Lenovo has full HD 15.6 inch display and full size keyboard with numberpad and backlit keys. Storage comes in form of 256GB SSD that is excellent for loading large projects and with 8GB DDR4 RAM, you get superior multi-tasking experience. This laptop makes use of full voltage i5 processor that is even faster than some of the ULV i7 processors. Couple that with Nvidia graphics card and you have the best laptop for visual studio and programming.
* 15.6 inch Full HD 1920×1080 display
* Intel Core i5 7300HQ full voltage processor
* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti discrete graphics card
* 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, backlit keybaord
Asus VivoBook F510UA [asa]B0762S8PYM[/asa]
Asus VivoBook F510UA is an affordable laptop for programming. It can runs applications like Visual Studio 2017 perfectly and boasts efficient specifications. It has the latest 8th generation coffeelake quad core i5 processor and 8GB RAM which gives you smooth programming experience. The full size keyboard gives you better and comfortable typing experience. This laptop has fingerprint reader for extra security as well. There is ample storage onboard for storing those large projects. The 15.6” anti-glare panel is home to full HD resolution which gives you crisp visuals and output more information at a glance.
| 8th Gen Intel Core i5, 1.6GHz (Turbo up to 3.4GHz) processor, FHD Display, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Home, Fingerprint, 0.8″ thin
Lenovo Ideapad 310 [asa]B01LNOELA6[/asa]
Lenovo Ideapad 310 is powered by very powerful quad core AMD A12-9700P processor, 8 GB RAM and Radeon R5 GPU that ensures nothing can stop this laptop from slowing down. There is whopping 1000GB of hard disk storage which is ideal for storing those huge projects and of course, for entertainment purposes. The keyboard is full size and very comfortable to code or type long documents. Asus has equipped this laptop with Ice cool technology that keeps the palm rest temperature comfortable. Clearly one of the best programming laptops out there.
* 15.6-inch HD display with 1366×768 resolution
* AMD A12-9700P 1.8GHz processor that turbo boosts to 3.2Ghz, Quad Core
* AMD Radeon R5 graphics card for superior GPU performance
* 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1000GB HDD, DVD drive
Dell Inspiron i7579 [asa]B01MAY3ZFM[/asa]
This Dell is the most powerful laptop for programming and running applications like Visual Studio. This Dell XPS has convertible display packing full HD resolution. And with that you get touchpanel that lets you interact with screen by using fingers. And since this is a kaby lake laptop packing a powerful i5 ULV CPU, you get excellent and efficient performance. You get stellar performance and battery life too. There is this enormous 256GB SSD storage for fast transfer speeds and 8GB DDR4 RAM that ensures there are slowdowns whatsoever. The keyboard is beautifully designed and has backlit too. Easily the most feature-rich laptop for programming of 2017.
| 15.6-inch 360-degree full HD laptop, 1920×1080 pixels
| Intel 7th generation kabylake i5-7200U processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
HP Pavilion 15 [asa]B07414Z5YT[/asa]
HP Pavilion 15 is one of the most well-made programming laptop. It has premium build quality packing full size keyboard for complete desktop experience. It is powered by i5 processor, 8GB RAM and 1000GB hard disk for storage. The screen features full HD display and has been given anti-glare coating for best multi-tasking experience. This lets you tackle with all of your programming and entertainment needs with ease. Battery life is stellar as it makes use of Intel ULV processor that helps increasing battery life as well.
* 15.6″ FHD display with 1920×1080 pixels, anti-glare coating
* 6th Gen Intel Core i5-6200U Ultra-low power processor, B&O PLAY with dual speakers
* 8GB RAM, 1000GB hard disk, Super multi DVD burner
* Windows 10, 4.27-pounds, HD webcam, backlit keyboard
Acer Aspire E15 [asa]B075FLBJV7[/asa]
Acer Aspire E15 is a high end multi-purpose laptop at a mid-range price tag. It features a the latest Intel kabylake-R i5 processor that has Nvidia GeForce GTX MX150 discrete graphics card for stellar graphics performance. Even if you are not a gamer, it will help you get smoother windows experience. A lot of applications make use of GPUs to render graphics in their apps which is why this laptop is here. It is a speed demon packing 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and even a backlit keyboard for best in-class experience. SSD really helps in improving transfer speeds and helps improving battery life. It packs full HD true life display for wide viewing angles and immersive user experience.
* 15.6″ Full HD screen with 1920×1080 resolution
* Intel Core i5-8250u ultra-low voltage processor, Nvidia MX150 dedicated graphics
* 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, backlit keyboard
Lenovo Ideapad 510s [asa]B01I0V68RE[/asa]
Lenovo Ideapad 510s is powered by 6th generation Intel i5 processor that gives you excellent programming experience. It helps you take your productivity, creativity and 3D games to the next level. It has full HD resolution that makes it ideal for working with multiple windows. The keyboard has numeric keypad and backlit keys for best typing experience. Battery life is stunning and the company promises you will get 5-7 hour of runtime from a single charge. An excellent laptop for programming.
| Full HD IPS (1920 x 1080) 14.0 inch screen
| Intel Core i5-6200U processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB HDD, dual speakers by Harman Audio
Asus VivoBook 15 [asa]B0762PPGJJ[/asa]
Asus VivoBook 15 is powerful and thin laptop for programming. It has high end i5 processor which coupled with dedicated Nvidia graphics, DDR4 RAM makes this a very fast laptop. It weighs 3.7-pounds and only 0.8-inch thin making it easy to carry around. It also has full size keyboard. Its power-sipping configuration helps you get 6-hour battery life with ease. If you are looking for a powerful laptop that does not cost a lot, this Asus VivoBook should be on top of your list.
* 15.6 inch FHD display with matte coating
* Intel Core i7-7500U 2.7 GHz Processor + Nvidia 940MX discrete graphics
* 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB hard disk, USB 3.1, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI, and SD card
MSI GL62M [asa]B072QT88DG[/asa]
One of the best laptops for programming and visual studio. MSI GL62M features standard voltage i5 processor and discrete Nvidia Pascal-series graphics card for top-class performance. To keep it running cool, it features thermal cooling technology which makes use of thermal fans for uninterrupted performance. The keyboard is backlit and full size. You get two levels of brightness controls as well. The display packs full HD resolution and offers wide viewing angles. Its Nahimic Audio Enhancer yields clearer and more realistic sounds for best gaming and multimedia experience.
* 15.6″ FHD display with 1920×1080 pixels
* Full voltage Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor clocked at 2.6GHz CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 2GB GPU
* 256GB SSD, 8GB DDR4 RAM
Acer E15 [asa]B01K1IO3QW[/asa]
Acer E15 is the best budget laptop for programming. It has powerful i3 processor that is backed by 4GB RAM and 1000GB hard disk which provide enough horsepower for getting any sort of programming and coding work easily. But our favorite feature is its full HD 15.6 inch display which is completely unheard of at this price tag. This allows the user to do programming more comfortably than a typical cheap laptop that has an HD display. The keyboard is full size as well and has dedicated number pad for complete desktop experience.
* 15.6-inch full HD display, 1920×1080 pixels
* Intel Core i3-7100u processor
* 4GB RAM, 1000GB hard disk, DVD drive, 5.27-pounds