Best Laptop for Music Production 2016 – cheapest laptop for producing music and recording
Finding a laptop for music production is not easy as you want something that is super fast to work with and lets you concentrate on music production rather than irritating you by making you wait for some effect to complete
When finding a best cheap laptop for music production there are several things to keep in mind. First and foremost is a good processor. Sticking with a Core i5 or i7 processor would be an intelligent choice. Laptop for music production does a lot of processing and thus it would be nice to get a cheap laptop with i7 or i5 CPU. If you go for a typical windows 10 cheap laptop, you would be making a recipe for disaster. Those cheap mainstream windows 10 laptops are good enough for typical common-man tasks like web browsing and office but not for music production. They will keep you waiting for long making you loose interest.
Second thing to look out for when buying the best laptop for music production in 2016 is graphics card. Believe it or not but a lot of software apps that are used for this purpose make use for hardware audio decoding feature provided by these discrete laptop GPU components so getting a laptop with graphic card in 2016 is not a bad idea too. These laptops are very powerful and pack state of art graphic cards.
Third thing to keep in mind when purchasing a laptop for music production is storage space. Audio files, especially raw audio files consume a lot space as they are uncompressed and occupy a lot of space. So stay away from laptops with SSD as they normally do not give you lot of space to play with. While SSD laptops are faster than laptops with hard disk drives, they still are not fit for music producers as laptops with 1TB SSD drives would definitely burn a big hole in your pocket. In short, getting a laptop with 1TB hard disk would be a better buy.
Fourth thing to watch out for memory. Having lots of memory ensures you do not suffer from paging on a laptop. Paging is triggered when your computer runs out of memory and it throws some of the stuff onto hard disk to free up some space in memory. This slows the entire laptop down which we would never want to happen in a laptop for music production. So go for laptops with 8GB RAM or more and stay away from those with 4GB RAM or less. Enough talking, here is the list of top laptops for music production in 2016 selected by laptop experts.
Best laptop for music production is Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK
This laptop is worth every penny because it has all ingredients that should be there in an ideal, best laptop for music production. Powered by full-voltage i7 processor that is extremely powerful, it has big 1000GB hard disk and 8GB SSD that it uses as cache for boosting performance even more. There is ample RAM and even a discrete Nvidia 960M graphics card which will be useful if your audio app supports hardware encoding and decoding. The screen packs full HD resolution for best editing experience. The keyboard is full size and backlit for best user experience. It is hard to beat this laptop.
* 15.6-inch full HD display, 1920×1080 resolution
* 1000GB HDD, 8GB SSD cache, 8GB DDR3L RAM
* Intel Core i7-6700HQ Skylake processor, Nvidia GeForce GTX960M GPU with 4GB GDDR5 graphics, backlit keyboard
Acer Aspire E15
While this Acer is a cheap gaming laptop around 500, it is a perfect candidate for being one of the best cheap laptops for music production. It has powerful i5 processor and Nvidia 940MX graphics that will really help in applying effects and encoding process. It has full size backlit keyboard that looks incredibly cool in person and helps while working in dimly-lit environments. The texture on its lid and chassis gives it a very professional look.
* 15.6-inch Full HD Widescreen Display (1920 x 1080)
* Intel Core i5-6200U 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost
* NVIDIA GeForce 940MX Graphics with 2GB Dedicated DDR5 VRAM
* 8GB DDR5 RAM, 256GB SSD, DVD drive
* Genuine Windows 10 64-bit preinstalled
Best cheap laptop for music production is Lenovo Ideapad 310
If you are looking for a dependable laptop for audio production, the Lenovo Ideapad 310 is the one to get. It has latest Intel 7th generation kaby lake processor that is backed by faster DDR4 RAM both of which bring better efficiency and performance. Battery life is around 5-hours which is great for laptop of this size and power. Windows 10 flies on it as new Intel processors and the keyboard has dedicated windows 10-centric keys. For instance, there is a dedicated Airplane mode button. Despite being a thin laptop, it has full size laptop keyboard with number-pad and DVD drive.
* 15.6-inch HD display with 1366×768 resolution
* 1000GB HDD, 4GB DDR4 RAM, DVD drive
* Intel Core i3-7100U kaby lake processor clocked at 2.4GHz
HP 15-ay011nr has powerful processor and full HD display that will definitely help you in viewing more content when working in audio editing applications. There is no shortage of memory or storage. It looks very professional and oozes out quality from every single component you touch. If you are on budget, it is one of the best laptops for audio production.
* Intel Core i5-6200U Processor clocked at 2.3GHz with Turbo Speed 2.8 GHz, 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz RAM, 1TB 5400 RPM HDD;
* 15.6″ Diagonal FHD 1920×1080 display; Anti-glare; SVA LED backlight; 1366 x 768; HD Webcam; Intel HD Graphics 520
* 1 headphone/ microphone combo, 1 Superspeed USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, 1 SD card reader, 1 HDMI, SuperMulti DVD/CD burner
* 802.11bgn high-speed reliable wireless LAN, RJ-45 Ethernet, Dual built-in speakers, Windows 10 operating system
Asus F556UA-EB71 with i7
ASUS F556UA features the latest i7 skylake 2016 CPU backed by whopping 1TB (1000GB) hard disk and 8GB RAM. ASUS F556UA is without any doubt one of the best and most affordable laptop for music production. Its full HD display is incredibly helpful when working with audio editing apps which have lot of toolbars. The chiclet keyboard is full size and has large touchpad as well.
* Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz). Skylake
* 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1000GB HDD, DL DVD±RW/CD-RW, Chiclet Keyboard
* 15.6 inches LED backlit display, full HD 1920×1080 resolution
* USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB3.1 Type C, Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, VGA Port (D-Sub), HDMI, Card Reader